Welcome to Krahule
The mountain village of Krahule lies in central Slovakia, in the central part of the Kremnica Hills. It is located along the road from the northwest to the southeast. The centre of the village is 872 meters above sea level. The village is 1000 m long and 150 m wide. Houses are located on both sides of the road. The village itself covers an area of about 15 hectares and the total area of land belonging to it is 1076 ha. The land area is in the shape of a triangle, whereby the shorter side is the line from Trhovník (989 m above sea level) to Krahule Peak (958 m above sea level) and measures about 3 km. The apex of the triangle is about 7 km to the East from this line in the forest about 1 km before Skalka (1232 m above sea level). On the south side, the Krahule basin is closed by Krahule Peak, from where there is a magnificent view to the south all the way to Sitno and a direct view over the historic town of Kremnica. On the north side of Krahule Peak there is a direct view of Skalka. The northern part of the Krahule basin is closed by the Predné Pláne (1115 m) and Zadné Pláne peaks (1 178 m). Their slopes offer ideal conditions for downhill skiing, and ski lifts are available. To the west of the village is the peak of the Trhovník (also known as Dorn Stein), which viewed from Kremnické Bane has the appearance of a human head lying down. It also gives us a direct view of the point, considered to be the central point of Europe, upon which the church of St. John is located. The village is a neighbour of Kremnica to the south, Turček to the north and Kremnické Bane to the west.
History of the village of Krahule
At the foot of Kremnica mountains, 8 km north of Kremnica, lies, originally a German settlement of loggers, miners and charcoal burners fating from the 14th century, the typical mountain village of Krahule – Blaufuss. Its origin and development were connected with the development of the residential area of Kremnica. Although the urban life of the mining and minting town did not stray out of the limits of the town, Kremnica, through its different relationships, had an influence over its surroundings. These relationships were mainly economic, transport, cultural and religious. The original land on which the settlement, later the village, was established was empty, uninhabited, and covered only by large forests that belonged to the Zvolen royal estate. The village was built on two miles of land or forest which the Hungarian King, Charles Robert of Anjou, donated through a deed of privilege on 17 November 1328 to Kremnica “guests”, promoting Kremnica to the status of royal mining town. Charles Robert brought economic experience to the Kingdom of Hungary (which at the time included the lands of modern-day Slovakia) from his southern Italian homeland and invited experienced miners and experts in processing gold to come to Kremnica from several Central European cities and professional moneyers from Kutná Hora. The deed of privilege actually attracted settlement not only from abroad, but soon also by locals. It began in Kremnica and was planned. Its engine was the most important lord in Kremnica known as Comes, Royal Director, as well as the wealthy entrepreneurial Kremnica townspeople. They then received as their reward a hereditary sheriffdom in the established mining settlements. Based on a deed dated 16 January 1640, the hereditary sheriff of Blaufuß became Pavol König and after his death his son Jacob König. Settlement went on along the streams all the way to the springs and penetrated deep into the forest. Miners did not stop due to the obstacle that was the forest because a lot of wood was needed in mines, ore processors, and mints. The first settlers who came here got living space for a small settlement by fighting against the great forest by clearing and grubbing. Gradually the natural forest was transformed in this way into pasture, meadows and ploughed land.